Thanks to Jody from Six Little Hearts for the the Liebster Award nomination. What a fantastic opportunity to get to know fellow bloggers and to write about, well, me!
The Liebster is given to up and coming bloggers.
Jody composed 11 questions for me to answer.
I must add 11 additional facts about myself.
I must then nominate another new bloggers and provide a new set of set of 11 questions (Liebster Awards) to be passed around.
Got it? Here goes!
1) If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be and why?
Adventure Park, Geelong.
If I had the choice, I would move around with the seasons.
So I would choose a long hot Aussie Summer in Southern Victoria, where I live now! The living is easy in Geelong and I love it, especially over summer. Days are spent sailing on our stunning north facing bay, only a few minutes drive from home. If a beach day beckons, it’s fifteen minutes drive south to the Surf coast and some of the best sandy beaches and coastline in the country. 50 minutes north and I’m in the most exciting city in the world, eclectic and exhilarating Melbourne.
In Autumn I would hit New York City (Spring time in the US). My (imaginary) apartment is in Soho. NYC is at its most beautiful at this time of year with floral displays on just about every sidewalk and Central Park is a wondrous sea of colour.
Our cold Victorian winter would be swapped with summer in the South of France – more sailing, wining, dining and hitting the hilltop markets every other day. No explanation needed!
I would then head over to my (imaginary) Tuscan villa, nestled in the hills between Florence and Sienna. After a month or so it would be back to Oz to spend the rest of the year in Noosa. Warm sea, walks through the national park, great shopping and restaurants! I love the lifestyle there.
2) What do you love most about your life right now?
I want to say my new velvet couch, but I’m going to say my children.
Troopers. Absolutely knackered. 24 hours and still not home.
In all their imperfect glory, and as much as they drive me to wine, sore throats and babysitters, the kids simply and obviously are the most wonderful part of my life. We travel together, we party together, we fight, ski, dance, surf, cook and sing together. Our holidays in Queensland each year are special times and something I so look forward to – every bit as much as our overseas trips. They are absolute troopers and I love them all dearly. Even though…..
Scarlette is verging on tweenager-hood. Doors are beginning to slam, ballet bag is smelling less like hairspray and more like sweaty socks. Brothers are out, girlfriends are in.
Then there’s Tom. Intellectual, argumentative, sports mad and highly sensitive. Despite being one of the smartest in his class, he still manages to piss on his feet when he goes to the toilet.
Youngest Alex would rather build with Lego than go to school. At seven years old, he still has tantrums!! At the moment he’s wondering why his grandparents went to Paris and walked around the loo for five hours.
3) What are you carrying around in your handbag at this time?
Really not too interesting I’m afraid!
- Prada Purse – gift from loving husband
- Kikki K Diary bursting with receipts and school notes
- Little Pouch with life’s essentials – Mac lip gloss, bandaids, Nurofen, paw paw cream, nail scissors, tweezers, Aasop hand cream. Filthy tissue, old stray mint, crumbs (??)
- Tickets for La Sylphide by The Australian Ballet (Scarlette and my ‘girlie-time’.)
- Chanel Sunglasses – scratched and slightly bent
- A wine cork. Really? Curious.
- Car Keys
- Floating around the bottom: a vast selection of bobby and bun pins and to my horror, looking just now – bits of hair. Oooh.
Thanks for this question, Jody – handbag just got a good clean out.
4) Do you remember what prompted you to begin blogging?
I started because I wanted to connect with (and learn from) like-minded girls who I share a love of home, vintage and tradition with. Plus my corporate roots have drawn me to other bloggers who discuss small business, consumer trends and marketing issues. I guess I use blogging like one big magazine – an eclectic mix of fashion, travel, family issues, media, business and community.
5) An interesting fact about your ancestry?
English, English and more English. I joined ancestory.com to do a tree a few years ago and discovered lots of names and not many stories. I’m sure there’s royalty somewhere there. How else could I explain my love for jewels and St Tropez?
6) Your favourite colour is? Why?
That depends on the time of day.
In the morning I like blue. Waking up to a blue sea, a blue sky, a blue dress, blue eye shadow.
Waking up in Puglia
During the day I am drawn to a more citrus palette. I’m loving orange at the moment. It’s fresh and looks great paired with other bold colours like blue or purple.
During the evening I like white. White wine, white plates, white sheets.
7) Summer or Winter?
Definitely summer. Even though I love an open fire, denim jeans and leather boots, I do crave summer during the long cold Victorian months. I am craving it now!!
I know it’s bad for my white anglo freckly facade, but the delicious warmth of the sun on my skin, the exhilaration of diving into salted waves and walking, dining, living on a hot Aussie or European day is my idea of heaven and happiness. Long warm days, balmy nights. Bliss!
Scarlette, St Maxime, France
Fishing in Noosa
Sailing lessons on Corio Bay, Geelong. A summer treat.
8) How would you spend $2 million?
Easily and without hesitation. Here’s the breakdown:
$500,000 to Murdoch Children’s Research Institute. It relies on philanthropic donations to support seed research that government funding will not. The world-class research teams bring theories and innovative ideas to life. They make ground breaking discoveries in matters of childhood health, disease, obesity, genetics and cancer. You can donate here.
$500,000 to the plight of the third world. I had the most privileged experience a few years ago when I met Sir Bob Geldolf at a private charity function in Melbourne. He captivated my attention during his two hour speech – I could hardly breathe. He had the warmest hand shake and was charming, funny, honest and, mostly, thought provoking. Imagine that no child lived in poverty. Imagine that basic human needs and rights were given, as gifts of life, to children across every country on this planet. Imagine that corrupt governments weren’t thwarting undying efforts of aid workers to get food and support to the population. Imagine if greedy governments weren’t letting their people die. Imagine irrigation, running water, plantations, cattle, schools, shelter. Justice for every human being.
$200,000 to my local community. Some to our hospital, some to local charities.
$300,000 investment fund portfolio (boring!)
The balance to me and my own. Some to pay off our mortgage and cars. A holiday for my parents, a holiday for my marriage and a couple of awesome holidays for my whole brood. I value travel enormously. I want my kids to see the world!
9) What is your favourite skincare / makeup product and why?
Dr Natasha Cook’s Concentrated Moisturizer. My skin drinks it. It feels luxurious and smells delicious. I don’t usually believe the rubbish that the beauty industry throw at us – I’m a firm believer in factors like heredity, what we put in our mouth and the environment that determines how our skin looks and feels. However, this product works for me! See my profile picture? I’m actually 105. Really!!
10) A character trait you have?
I am incredibly impatient. People think I’m being patient but I’m just being polite.
11) What are you enjoying on television at present?
Among other shows I am addicted to Arrow!! Have you seen him? Bad acting and a terrible script do not matter. Just mute it and watch. Every Wednesday night I abandon all nocturnal domestic activities. My husband declares “your boyfriend’s on the telly”. And I go and watch.
11 Facts About Me, Myself and I
- I love watching Fawlty Towers re-runs on Foxtel. Basil still gives me a belly laugh!
- I don’t like cooking, however I really like cookbooks and cooking shows. Rick Stein is a favourite.
- I run an online vintage clothes market called Sugar & Ash. I love mixing high end fashion with quirky vintage pieces.
- My favourite TV show is Antiques Road Show. I record it during the day and watch it without the ads at night. Then I browse Ebay for the items I loved on the show to see how much people are trying to get for them!
- Every Thursday night, Mark and I go out for dinner. It’s our ‘team meeting’ and is usually held at the local pub. Date night is the glue that holds our marriage together. If problems of a domestic nature are not ironed out on date night, we know we are in trouble!
- I have learned a lot about Tourettes Syndrome since my daughter was diagnosed seven years ago.
- My favourite movie is Gone With The Wind (see my blog about my shop name)
- I make my kids eat a platter of raw vegetables every day after school.
- My favourite place to visit is Tuscany, Italy (follow my ‘Italy’ Pinterest board) and I learn Italian.
- I tried to become a nurse once, but after three months on the ward I realised that it wasn’t for me. Nurses are such special people and they are so underpaid and undervalued. I eventually became a real estate agent. No further comment.
- I wish someone would give me $2 million.
And The Nominees Are:
11 new questions for the nominees to answer:
- What is your most treasured possession (humans and pets don’t count)
- If you could make a difference in your local community, what is the first thing you would change?
- Where in the world would you like to holiday, a place you’ve never been, and why?
- If you were the Prime Minister of Australia, name one promise you would make and keep.
- Name a public figure that is a positive role model for young girls. What message is she sending?
- Who is your favourite blogger and why?
- What’s your favourite game?
- Are you a hoarder or a culler?
- Where is the most remote place you have been to?
- What do you think you pay too much for, but have no choice?
- Tell us your favourite joke!
Thanks for taking the time to read. Please visit my shop, Sugar and Ash and get on the trend carousel!